Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Icicle and Photoshop

We had quite a few icicles hanging from our gutters as the snow melted and the temperature stayed cold. Up close, the icicle acts as an uneven lens, collecting light from its surroundings. The stripes in the flag hanging near this one show up as lines when you look closely.

And when I used Photoshop effect of glowing edges, the lines appeared on a dark field.

Adjusting the red level in the image, the background is a red glow and the imperfections in the surface are more pronounced.

And here is the larger portion with glowing edges and red level adjusted.

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

How gorgeous, Lew! Such beautiful shots -- and where you'd least expect them. Unless, you've acquired a photographers ability to see the unexpected, which you obviously have! Lovely! Thanks for sharing the beauty!

Sylvia

imac said...

Welcome to the 5th Dimension Lew.
Great work - my friend.

Paulie said...

I forgot I was signed in on my new blog name -- Paulie is PERBS's first name. Just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year! I still have my bench blog under PERBS as there is a little space left.

Love the icicles -- never realized they could be so fascinating! Your photoshop stuff is interesting also.

SandyCarlson said...

Your icicle is gorgeous. These are great images.

Unknown said...

Me thinks you were having tons of fun, Lew! :)

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link