Saturday, March 14, 2009

Close encounters of the feline kind

Marianne and I have at times chronicled the critters that visit our yard. Thursday she called me to come quick and bring my camera and we witnessed this 5-minute encounter between squirrel and neighborhood cat.

This cat (and others) has tried for months without success to corner one of the squirrels that munch on the acorns under our oaks. This fearless squirrel just kept on munching as the cat peered around the tree. Oops! A distraction next door.

No problem - back to lunch.

Getting closer.

Face off!. And our Buster joins the watch (from inside).

Time to check out things over by the deck. The squirrel went merrily across the deck and around the corner of the house. The cat followed and looked around the corner, then hungrily went back to the tree, hoping for another chance.

7 comments:

imac said...

Wonderful post Lew.

Thanks for your visit and comments.

Michele said...

Heh.... awesome photo post... this was quite humorous!! =D

Anonymous said...

The photography is excellent the cat outside on prowl is nerve wracking. I hope the squirrel made it. LOL

Anonymous said...

Wonderful docudrama! This was a fun and suspenseful read.

Unknown said...

The suspense buildup was awesome. You were at the right place at the right time. Cool series

Shrinky said...

What a brilliant set of photographs, I can't believe how close that squirrel allowed himself to being caught! Our island doesn't have any squirrel population, I know they can be pests but I do miss seeing them about.

Patti said...

Very cool series of photos you captured here. I love it. Cat vs. squirrel.

Thanks for visiting me and my squirrel-y post today.