Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Day 338 - Hawks on wing: 4 views

( NOTE: A closer look found that these are turkey vultures, not hawks.) As I came out of Wal-Mart today, I spotted some seagulls flying over the parking lot. Before I got to my van (and camera), they disappeared over the building. But then I noticed a low flying hawk on the other side of the parking lot, so that's where I went. Standing on the bank above the Monocacy River flood plain, I watch as first one, then a second and third magnificent bird circled slowly back and forth above the drainage pond below. I was using my zoom lens set at 200mm. None of these photos has been cropped.


At the far end of the pond some geese made their way into the water. The Monocacy River is in the edge of the trees in the background. Below two of the hawks circle beyond where the geese swam.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! What a great shot. You were in the right place, at the right time -- and with a camera. Sweet!

Cindy said...

Awesome Lew! I get excited when I see only one. When we were in Yellowstone a couple of months ago, we saw a jumongous bald eagle resting in a tree and I was sooooo excited.

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I love hawks - they are so majestic and graceful!

Louise said...

Wow! They look so big. Almost like vultures. Excellent shots!

Gawdess said...

these ARE good!